Wednesday, April 11, 2007

In the Middle of English

Who would have thought that Chaucer would be the first author to get a mention here in Blog Towers? Don't worry, this isn't going to be a particularly highbrow blog (as exemplified by some rather childish cartoons) - but currently I'm rather weighed down by Geoffrey and his pals. That little bevvy is Chaucer, Gower, and the ever-elusive Pearl-Poet (Petey to his Mum) - and they have been my constant companions these last few days.

Hmm. The jury's out. I can quite enjoy a bit of Chaucer - emphasis on a BIT - but finding it difficult to really engage with the other authors, especially when I have to look words up every other line, and understand a slightly variant alphabet. Now, I'm sure lots of you out there are aficiandos (and can probably spell it too, which is more than me) - tell me; what is it about these authors that I can enjoy?

Currently, the following cartoon expresses my feeling. (Again, you might have to click on it to make it big enough). I did it instead of reading an essay on Chaucer's Dream Visions, but I think it was quite a productive use of time. Ahem. And don't ask why Chaucer is crouching beside the Enquiries desk... but it's just the sort of thing he WOULD do...

.


No comments:

Post a Comment