Thursday, June 7, 2007

I'm not your child, so...

If you decide to attend an agent pitching event, PLEASE don't read me your pitch in the short time allotted for us to speak. While I understand that you might be nervous, reading to me or any other agent is not the answer! For some agents this is a straight rejection, and for almost everyone else it immediately colors somewhat our evaluation.

Practice your pitch - memorize it if need be - so that you and I can have a conversation. Check out what other agents and I have said already about pitching in person too so you know what we want to hear. If all you're going to do is read to me like I'm your four month old child, your time would probably be better served working on your query and just dropping it in the mail.

If you just can't help yourself, you might as well let me read it. I promise you that I can read and evaluate it much faster than you can talk, and I'll be able to jump right into questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment