Monday, December 10, 2007

Following E-Query Instructions

Most agencies now accept e-queries. However, each agent has very specific guidelines on how to submit such queries - what address to send them to, what to include, whether attachments are acceptable, etc. If you're savvy enough to find an agent's email address, than you certainly should be able to find their website, which should include their guidelines. Just in case, here are mine again:

I will only respond to e-queries sent to me via my agency submission web page. I will not respond to e-queries sent to me in any other manner, unless it is a referral.

I will respond to all e-queries sent to me via my website within few days, and at most two weeks. If you have not heard from me after two weeks, it's because you either did not fill out the form correctly or you queried me more than once with the same material.

If I reject your query, do not ask me for more details or recommendations. I will not respond, and will actually get annoyed.

Though I strongly prefer e-queries, I still accept regular mail queries (query, SASE). It takes four to six weeks for me to respond. If you do not include an SASE I will not reply.

I know I'm laying down the law again, but the number of e-queries I've received last week that don't follow the above guidelines above was tremendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment