Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Poet


A while ago my friend Mel set up a website called The Pygmy Giant - not entirely sure (or at all sure) where the name came from, possibly Mel's diminuitive stature, but that needn't worry us right now. The website is for flash fiction - which Wikipedia describes as "fiction characterised by its extreme brevity". Poems or stories of under 2000 words, more or less, which one can read easily in one go, and which generally has some quick, singular impact. Great fun, and interesting to see what people can do with few words.

Anyway, I submitted a poem the other day, and it is now in place. Not the most cheery ditty in the world, but I quite liked it. If any of you are budding writers, or just fancy the challenge of seeing what you can write in a short space, then I'm sure Mel would love to hear from you. Email
thepygmygiant@googlemail.com but do check the submission guidelines first; for one thing, I think everyone submitting work is British, or at least living in Britain. That's because there are lots of American flash fiction websites out there, and Mel wanted to try something a bit different.

Do go and check out the site, there's some really interesting stuff going on over there. And if I ever performed by friendship role better, I might even be an assistant editor. I'll settle with contributor for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment