Thursday, March 27, 2008

Buyings...

After my Lentern non-book buying, I am easing myself in gently. Well, I'm waiting for payday tomorrow before I go crazy. My Amazon basket is already filled to the brim... but one of the things I love most about book buying is the unexpected; wandering into a charity shop and seeing what it has. This probably leads to buying all sorts of books I don't technically *need*, but it also occasions surprises, and fun reading is a lot about serendipity.

The three books I bought from Oxfam a couple of days ago are in the photo above:

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - I think I might
already have this, but I wasn't sure, and I certainly haven't read it. A slim work about illness and insanity and domesticity - perhaps I should dig out Woolf's On Being Ill and read them alongside each other?

The Leavises on Fiction by P. J. M. Robertson - old FR and QD are important figures for my potential masters thesis, if only as people to set oneself against - this book looks both interesting and useful, a combination to assuage any guilt.

The Vicar of Wakefield and She Stoops to Conquer - Oliver Goldsmith - I've read both but own neither; have been looking out for a nice copy of TVOW since I read it a year or so ago, as it is hilarious and thought-provoking. This rather battered old copy is the sort of edition I like.

Next into my virtual shopping basket must be these gems from The Book People:
A series of20 disparate classics, under the title 'Great Loves' - only £15. How could I not? Follow the link to see which works are included - some (well, one) I've read, lots I'd like to read, and a few names I've not seen before. A nice little project.


No comments:

Post a Comment