Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Favorite Future Classics

The wife and I live in Manhattan. It's a bit crowded, with too many bikes and books for such a small space. We'll move eventually though, and I dream of having my own library, with book shelves built into the walls, bank lamps, comfortable brown leather chairs, and scotch.

So in anticipation of that day I've started to collect first editions. I'm not willing to spend $20,000 on Catcher and the Rye though. Instead, I'm collecting first editions from the past twenty-five years or so that I think might one day be worth some money. Basically, I'm picking books I love and hoping that they have longevity.

I've already got A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane (thanks droobieboy), and I plan on getting the following titles next:

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
The Alienist by Caleb Carr

Any other suggestions? What books will have a legacy in the years to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment