Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How did I get started as an agent?

How did you get started as an agent? I read your biography on the Lyons Literary website and I'm wondering why and how you left the litigation law firm and went to work for Curtis Brown. I'm a law student and I would really love to go into agenting - so I'd particularly like to hear your story as a lawyer turned agent.

Here's the short version.

I had looked into agenting when I was in law school, but I decided against it initially for more pay at a firm. But within just a few months of practicing I realized I wasn't happy. I didn't feel good about myself or my life, and I certainly couldn't imagine doing this for the next fifty years.

Once I realized that I needed to switch jobs, I reconsidering agenting. My brother is an author, and his agent at the time was kind enough to let me intern for him in my spare time to see if agenting was up my alley. Within five minutes of working there I knew that it was what I was meant to do with my life.

I sent out a bunch of resumes and got an interview at Curtis Brown. I ended up meeting with two of the younger agents at the agency, and they appreciated my hunger and desire, likely because they feel the same way about agenting as I do. I got the job and the rest is history.

Agenting isn't for everyone. Like any entertainment industry profession there is a certain amount of dues you must pay, and real success takes time and patience. I wouldn't suggest it as a profession for anyone unless you're truly passionate about books.

No comments:

Post a Comment