Friday, May 23, 2008

When should you mention your age, if ever?

My partial manuscript is under consideration with a wonderful agent (actually, my #1 choice), and I'm wondering when in the process it might be a good idea to reveal the fact that I'm only 18 years old. My thought is not until we're actually discussing representation and publicity plans. I'm not sure if my age is detrimental to me or a cool little gimmick. Either way, it has nothing at all to do with the writing, and I don't want it to color her perception of the book.

What to do? Tell her now, tell her if representation comes up, never mention it? It seems like a small thing, but it's bugging me.

Ultimately a good book is a good book, and hopefully an agent will represent you regardless of age. In my own opinion, it can only help to know how old you are, as it means you have a long career ahead of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment