Monday, July 14, 2008

A Personal Low Point

How the mighty are fallen. What would Virginia Woolf say if she knew what I'd just read. Granted, the whole book took me less than an hour, but that's still an hour I could have spent in the company of Laura Ramsay, Clarissa Dalloway, Miss La Trobe.

I've just read High School Musical : The Book of the Fi
lm.

My very dear friend Mel bought it for me, since we have shared (ironically, you understand) the rollercoaster of emotions that is Troy (basketball player) and Gabriella (Maths genius) discovering affinity through song. She asked me to write about it on here, and being the slavish man I am...

If you've seen High School Musical, then you've read all the dialogue in this book. N.B. Grace, who appears to have penned all manner of such books (though also looks like a note reminding about the Gospel) has turned his/her hand to writing a book in the easiest way possible. Grab a script, and throw "He said, thoughtfully"; "She said, inwardly groaning" and so forth, throughout. Repeat as needed. Surprisingly, however, it is done unobtrusively, and makes for an enjoyable enough read.

But why do I write about it here? Well, some of you may be the parents/grandparents/friends/siblings of someone who is reluctant to read much. If that person is a pre-teenager, possibly with a crush on Zac Efron/Vanessa Anne Hudgens, then maybe this book would lure them into the reading fold... Worth a shot, anyway.

Happy, Mel? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment