Friday, October 17, 2008

Waiting for Carrot Cake



Karen at Cornflower, when she does her Cornflower Book Group, always tries to bake something appropriate for the book in question. Inadvertently (or was it?) I did the same thing today - I spent the evening reading Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot... and then I made Carrot Cake Muffins. Those with good memories will recall that carrots feature in Waiting for Godot, along with turnips and radishes. I decided not to put turnips or radishes into the muffins...

My housemate has a rather exciting looking recipe book, which has 50 different muffin recipes (it's
called 1 Mix, 50 Muffins). She's made Jam Doughnut Muffins, and I thought I'd give these a whirl - in fact, most of the recipes in the book look wonderful. Think I'll give Crispy Bacon Muffins a miss, and will definitely avoid Crunchy Peanut Butter Muffins (yeuch) but plenty of other exciting ones to try.

The Carrot Cake
Muffins came out very nicely, since you ask, but I'm not so sure about the icing - I followed their directions of 75g cream cheese, 40g butter, 35g icing sugar... but it still tastes rather like I just spread cheese on them. Hmm... how to improve?

Oh, and Waiting for Godot? Utterly baffling, of course, but not in an irritating way. Even as I read it and realise I understand nothing and have to give a presentation on it, still I get a feeling for the feeling of the play, as it were. Something pretty special there, and a sacred cow which I will leave happily grazing in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment