Thursday, February 11, 2010

No One Now Will Know...

Project 24 - #4

Book no.4 has found its way into my house, helped (as with the Richmal Crompton Roofs Off!, Book no.1) by my abebooks 'want' alert. I love EM Delafield (you can read my thoughts about three of her books here) and have amassed quite a collection of her novels - quite a few unread, but nice to know that the store is there for a bit of indulgence now and then, the most recent being Nothing is Safe, which I'll write about before too long. One I didn't have is No One Now Will Know - and, consequently, it is one I *do* now have!

I don't know a lot about the novel, but this wonderful and reliable EMD website says "A decidedly bleak book in which Fred and Lucian (Lucy) both love Rosalie. The title is a quotation from the Irish poem 'The Glens of Antrim" No one now will know, which of them loved her the most". He hasn't actually read this one, if I interpret the asterisk correctly, so perhaps his information comes from Violet Powell's occasionally underwhelming biography The Life of a Provincial Lady. And I can't really imagine that EM Delafield could be completely bleak if she tried - even in her bleakest novels, like Consequences, there are flashes of humour.


So, there you have it - book number four, and one of the most melodic titles I've ever come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment