Sunday, February 14, 2010

So Good They Named It Twice


A bit of fun to kick off the week, but something which might also have you banging your head against the wall...

The idea is simple. Think of books with titles which repeat the same word, or set of words, exactly. A made up example - Stuck, Stuck by Ina Book. There can be commas or exclamation marks or dashes, but no other words. No 'and', 'with', 'The' - unless, of course, they're repeated as well. I had to strike O, These Men, These Men by Angela Thirkell off my list, once I remembered about that 'O' at the beginning...

I daresay this would be quite easy to cheat at, but that's no fun - see which ones you can remember without having recourse to the internet or your bookshelves (checking suspicions is fine). I've been pondering it for a couple of days, and have come up with ten... In order to allow you to play along, I've put my answers in white text - so you can highlight them and have a look, but only when you've put your answers in the comment box...!

Enjoy, and don't blame me if it drives you a little bit crazy...

Faster! Faster! - EM Delafield
Author, Author - David Lodge
The Sea, The Sea - Iris Murdoch
Lucia, Lucia - Adriana Trigiani
Kiss Kiss - Roald Dahl
Absalom, Absalom! - William Faulkner
Speech! Speech! - Geoffrey Hill
Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett
Red Dog, Red Dog - Patrick Lane
Promises Promises - Adam Phillips

Highlight the text above to see which ones I came up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment