Thursday, March 4, 2010

Grammar Day


Apparently today has been Grammar Day! (Cue awful joke: what about Grandpa Day, huh?) Booking Through Thursday inform he thus, and ask this:

In honour of National Grammar Day … it IS “March Fourth” after all … do you have any grammar books? Punctuation? Writing guidelines? Style books?

More importantly, have you read them?

How do you feel about grammar in general? Important? Vital? Unnecessary? Fussy?


Yes, BTT, yes it does matter to me. I have a few guides dotted around, don't tend to read them... but I do own a T-shirt with this on it (my T-shirt isn't yellow, but this is the only good image I could find):


I understand that, in the long run, grammar probably doesn't matter... but I don't love grammar-accuracy out of snobbishness or a need to be superior, but just because it feels right. And, even more so, it feels horribly wrong to get it wrong. Perhaps your reaction is the same as my friend who wrote on Facebook the other day: 'If there's one thing I hate, it's pedanticness' - to which my reply, of course, was 'I think you mean pedantry.'

Over to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment