Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Failure....

The post I meant to put up will have to wait, because I've got the wrong bits of my camera out... so instead I shall tell you how I've failed at a recent book.

I mentioned it a while ago, and it was for book group tonight (which I actually didn't attend, because I'd forgotten Our Vicar and Our Vicar's Wife were passing through on their way from visiting friends far up north). Yes, it's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I don't often give up on books, but I gave up on this... because I was finding it so infernally dull, and then I read Elaine's recent post on it, and thought that it might develop into the wrong sort of not-dull...

I know it's an enormously successful series, and has highlighted all sorts of violence against women which needs uncovering, but... well, I might be able to admire the author's intentions, but I can't admire his writing. Another failure with very popular books... I'll retreat to my idiosyncratic doctoral research and my 1930s housewives' novels, thanks very much...

No comments:

Post a Comment