Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Novellas


I was thinking about my previous weekend of reading novellas, and what fun it was, and musing about what I'd read were I to repeat the experiment... and toying with doing so on the weekend 4th-5th December. So I went around my bookshelves, pulling things off that I wanted to read, and that were around 200pp. or less. And now I have a pile of 13 books... I'm not going to reveal them just yet, because I think that last time it rather spoilt the surprise of what I'd read, and maybe led to book-mention-fatigue (just be grateful Miss Hargreaves isn't under 200pp.! As the bloggers who met Thomas the other day discovered, I can work Miss H. into more or less any conversation.) But the beady-eyed amongst you may be able to deduce one or two...


If I did provisionally put aside that weekend for novella reading, would anyone be interested in joining me?

Obviously I wouldn't be able to read all thirteen, but I daresay I'd make something of a dent, and it would be fun to know that other people were engaging in the activity elsewhere in the country.
It might be shortened by a potential trip to Cheltenham to see a musical, but... well, we'll see. December seems somehow appropriate for novellas. Although it also seems appropriate for enormous novels, which is why I have Sarah Waters' The Night Watch earmarked for a dark post-Christmas evening.

Do let me know if you'd be interested, and spread the word. You don't have to give up the whole weekend, of course - maybe just try to read one or two novellas at some point? It certainly demolishes the reading pile a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment