Sunday, December 12, 2010

Review: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Title: The Carrie Diaries
Author: Candace Bushnell
Series:
Release Date: April 23rd, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 400
Age: Young Adult
Before Carrie Bradshaw hit the big time in the City, she was a regular girl growing up in the suburbs of Connecticut. How did she turn into one of the most-read social observers of our generation?
The Carrie Diaries opens up in Carrie's senior year of high school. She and her best friends -- Walt, Lali, Maggie, and the Mouse -- are inseparable, amid the sea of Jens, Jocks and Jets. And then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture. Sebastian is a bad boy-older, intriguing, and unpredictable. Carrie falls into the relationship that she was always supposed to have in high school-until a friend's betrayal makes her question everything. With her high school days coming to a close, Carrie will realize it's finally time to go after everything she ever wanted.
Rabid fans of Sex and the City will love seeing Carrie Bradshaw evolve from a regular girl into a sharp, insightful writer. They'll learn about her family background -- how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. We'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where the next Carrie Diaries book will take place.
I was excited to read this book. I liked the tv show and was interested in knowing the young Carrie.

In this book we meet Carrie when she's just seventeen years old. I definitely recognize Carrie. Even when she was younger, she had her unique personality and style. In this year, her life is starting to change, she is meeting new people, loosing friends, having boyfriends.

Carrie haven't been very lucky in love. I guess it's normal being a teenager, you meet so many jerks. But then she mets Sebastian, the hot bad boy, and her world changes when he likes her too. It's this experience what I think marks Carrie more. She likes him so much, but at the same time he isn't too good for her.

The part that I liked more was how Carrie found her writing. At this time, she's already writing, but with no success. She's insecure as most of the teenagers, but with everything that happens in this year of her life, she will found herself and her writing voice.

Not only Carrie learns about her experiences, but also started to decide her future for herself; which is when the opportunity to go to New York arrives.

The ending was what I was more excited about. I don't want to give spoilers, but if you are a fan of the tv show, you will probably like it.

At the same time, I was expecting more from this book. I'm not sure what I wanted, but I got that feeling  when reading it that was written more simple just because it was for young people. I'm not sure, I haven't read another book from this author.

Overall, I was expecting more about this book. It left me disappointed, but I think I would like the next one more, called Summer in the city, and comes out August 8th, 2011. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a light reading and would like to know more about Carrie.


More about this book at www.candacebushnell.comGoodreads, Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment