Monday, May 9, 2011

Book Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Author: Josephine Angelini
Series: Starcrossed #1
Release Date: May 31st, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age: Young Adult
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
You know I love Greek Mythology, so I was very interested in reading this book.

Starcrossed is definitely a love story. Helen has always been different, and she doesn't like it. But when Lucas and his family comes to town, she discovers she isn't the only one with powers.

Helen's smart and sweet, but I'm afraid she wasn't the kind of protagonist I prefer. I don't know exactly why, maybe she was boring sometimes. But I have to say I liked her more through the book, because she became more interesting.

Her romance with Lucas was what keep me reading. They didn't fall in love at first sight, bit still they fell in love very fast. They were a cute couple, but I wished they were more passionate. I know, it's a YA book, but still! Maybe more kissing?

Sometimes the writing was too slow for me, because I prefer fast reading. But the story was very original and interesting, and I liked the way the author played with Greek mythology and every once in a while there was a turn in the story.

Overall, I liked it and I really want to know what will happen with Helen and Lucas in the next book, called Dreamless.


No comments:

Post a Comment