Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Reading up my Greens

I was in a bookshop a little while ago (I know - shocker, right?) and came across a bunch of Henry Green novels. I bought an old Penguin edition of Loving a while ago, but, for some reason, it wasn't calling out to me. I love old Penguins sometimes, but they're so plain that if I don't know much about an author beforehand, they probably won't tempt me.

And these were rather pretty editions - lovely American paperbacks, which have a much nicer feel to them than modern British paperbacks. [EDIT: I am selling my country short! John Self points out in the comments that these editions are actually from The Harvill Press in the UK]


I stood in the shop for quite a few minutes, reading and re-reading the blurbs on the back of the five Henry Green novels they had in stock, trying to decide which was the most appealing. I put one after the other back on the shelf; picked them up again; put them back...


Well. As you can see - in the end, I bought the lot. I just couldn't decide. Doting, Back, Party Going, Concluding, and Blindness are now on my bedroom floor, waiting to be added to LibraryThing.


Have you read any of them, and which should be my first Henry Green novel? (Please say one of these five... I don't want to buy any more until I've read at least three of these!) Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment