Sunday, February 12, 2012

Muriel Spark Reading Week (23-29 April)

I was so thrilled with all your responses when I suggested Muriel Spark Reading Week the other day - although I was pretty sure I was onto a winner when the idea struck me, since Spark seems so perfect for this sort of blog readlong.  Two comments especially delighted me - Harriet's offer to be co-host, and Thomas's offer to make us a badge to accompany the Reading Week, which I proudly unveil below.  Didn't he do a fantastic job?  Thanks very much, Thomas!
 As you can see from the badge, we've decided upon dates: 23rd-29th April.  That should give you plenty of time to dig out a Spark novel or two...

As for the week itself, we don't really have any rules and regulations.  Just read one or more books by Muriel Spark (they're very short!), let us know when you have, and at the end of the week we'll post a round-up of everyone's reviews.  Or, of course, be inventive!  Posts about film adaptations, poetry, Spark's life or critical responses to Spark are all very welcome.

During the week, Harriet and I will be posting on alternate days - our own reviews, but also places where discussion about Spark can take place (perhaps especially for those who want to join in but don't write blogs themselves.)  

What I'd really love is if we all, between us, managed to write about all 22 of Spark's novels.  That might be something of a pipe-dream... and of course you can read whatever you want, but I'd personally love it if you sought out something a little more unusual.  Two dozen reviews of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie would be fun, but it would be even more fun if we left no Spark unturned...

Over to you!  Harriet and I would love you to spread the word - please do use Thomas' wonderful badge, and encourage other readers to join in Muriel Spark Reading Week (and pop a link to you post in the comments, if you like).  Let me know if you have any idea yet which Spark book you'll be reading... I'm already very excited about it all - I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment