Friday, October 19, 2007

Random Movie Musings

I admit it - I am a cinemaphile. I can sit through a six hour double feature without moving. I geek out when classic B movies are run again on HBO (Thirteenth Warrior, anyone?). I giggle like a school girl when the season film preview edition of Entertainment Weekly comes out. Free movie passes are like gold to me. I love the smell of buttered popcorn and the sound your shoes make as you walk on the sticky floor of a theatre.

Yet I sadly must admit that since opening the agency at the beginning of the year I've gone to the theatre less and less. This is certainly not for a lack of proximity - there are three theatres within a twenty minute walk of my home. I'm simply too tired most of the time, and the recent releases just haven't gotten me excited enough to overcome the calling of my couch. It doesn't help that the wife and I don't share the same tastes in movies (mine=good movies; hers=weird foreign movies).

But in the past two weeks I've managed to see two fantastic films, The Assassination of Jesse James and Michael Clayton, and this weekend we have plans to see another, Gone, Baby, Gone. I've actually been anxiously awaiting the movie for years, since I first read the book of the same title, by the great Dennis Lehane. For me, this and the three previous titles in the Kenzie series are the pinnacle of mystery/suspense writing (If you're an aspiring writer in this genre, it's required reading).

I was a bit nervous when I heard that Ben Affleck was attached, but when he wisely decided to make his brother Casey the star I breathed a sigh of relief. I've only seen good reviews so far, and I hope that this time Monday I can post one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment