Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Authors For Old


Getting late, so quick post today.

Something I forgot to add in my little meme about 2007's reads - old and new authors. I mentioned that six of the books were re-reads, but haven't brought up the issue of whether authors are first-time-reads or not.

So I had a look at last year. 53 of them were books by authors I hadn't read before. Hmm. Quite a few of those were for review but, still, quite interesting. And does leave over 30 which were by familiar authors.

Both have advantages - a familiar author is a known entity. They can surprise, sure, but you more or less know what you're getting. Perhaps they exceed expectation - like Vita Sackville-West's All Passion Spent - or perhaps they disappoint a little - like Frank Baker's Before I Go Hence. The fact remains that an expectation of some variety or other is there, and you can't help comparing. On the other hand, a new author (new to you, that is) has untold possibility... or lack thereof.

A very short post today, I'm afraid, but something to get you thinking - which do you look forward to more? An author you know you'll like, or a new author you might well love? Anticipation or safety??

No comments:

Post a Comment