Saturday, November 8, 2008

Challenging

I don't usually go in for reading challenges, because I have enough demand on my reading time as it is and deadlines make me panic, but I loved one I saw on Books Please so much that I had to join in. I rather anticipate that I won't *actually* read the books in 2009, but the fun will be choosing books to fit the categories...

The challenge is What's In A Name (2) - (2) because a successful challenge was run last year with different categories. I'm going to go through my unread-but-owned books and see where I can fit them in...

A book with a “profession” in its title.

  • The Professor - Charlotte Bronte
  • The Calligrapher's Night - Yasmine Ghata
  • The Sailor's Return - David Garnett

  • A book with a “time of day” in its title.

  • Endless Night - Agatha Christie
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning - Laurie Lee
  • A Clear Dawn - Winifred Peck

  • A book with a “relative” in its title.

  • Daddy's Gone A-Hunting - Penelope Mortimer
  • Good Wives? - Margaret Forster
  • Miss Linsey and Pa - Stella Gibbons

  • A book with a “body part” in its title.

  • The Eaten Heart - Giovanni Boccaccio
  • By The Pricking of My Thumbs - Agatha Christie
  • The Heel of Achilles - EM Delafield

  • A book with a “building” in its title.

  • The Orchid House - Phyllis Shand Allfrey
  • Hotel du Lac - Anita Brookner
  • The House of Dolls - Barbara Comyns

  • A book with a “medical condition” in its title.

  • The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
  • I don't think I have any others for this category... I don't own Love in a Time of Cholera... does 'Death' count as a "medical condition"...?

    Even if you don't intend to carry out the challenge, have a think of books on your shelves which might slot in... we'll see next year how many of these I've read.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment