Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Nicholas Hely Hutchinson


Those who remember my Stuck-in-a-Book's Oxford Tour, back in July 2007 (goodness! what a long time ago) might recall this post and Arcadia, my favourite shop in Oxford. Some secondhand books, lots of lovely gifts and wrapping paper and cards, I go whenever a birthday is coming. Occasionally I'll buy a card just because I love it, and want to have it on my desk. That was how I discovered Nicholas Hely Hutchinson.
He creates beautiful portrayals of nature - sloping and slid
ing and seemingly on a pivot, as it were. Rather than a straight landscape, the pictures then feel alive (though not frenetic); humourous, without losing a reverence for beauty. I'll keep quiet, and show you some examples. (I hope I'm allowed to do that! I'll remove them if I need to... but since I hope this leads people to buy prints or even paintings, it might be in his favour...)


Do go to his website - I've just been for the first time, and it has a slideshow of his paintings. I may be a little in love with them. They're what the art world would term 'affordable', but at the moment I'd need them to be under £10 to qualify. Even so, I'm horribly tempted...

No comments:

Post a Comment