Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy 10th Birthday Persephone!


Happy 10th Birthday, Persephone Books!

March 1999: Persephone published their first trio of
books - William - an Englishman by Cicley Hamilton; Mariana by Monica Dickens; Someone at a Distance by Dorothy Whipple. Ten years later they have 81 books in print, and I have just over half of 'em on my shelves.

I discovered Persephone through
their reprint of Richmal Crompton's Family Roundabout, already a favourite of mine, in January 2004, so I came in at the 5th anniversary - nice to know I've been reading them for just over half the time they've existed, though I'm sure a lot of readers of this blog have been there from the very early days.

I know I'm not the only one who loves, adores and cherishes Persephone books - so I'm handing over this week on Stuck-in-a-Book to a celebration of Persephone! To kick off we're going to be find out people's favourite Persephone book, and the one they really want to read. Here's a link to all of them, in case you need reminding - once you've decided, comment with 1.)your favourite one, 2.)the one you want to read. If you've not read any (and where have you been for the last ten years?) just do number 2.) - and at the end of Persephone Birthday Week I'll send someone's choice to them. How exciting!

And while we're at it, if you also love Persephone Books, why not tell us how you found Persephone in the first place?

I'll kick off proceedings -
1.) Family Roundabout by Richmal Crompton remains my favourite
2.) I've not read A House in the Country by Jocelyn Playfair yet - my copy is currently with a friend in Liverpool, so I'll be reading it before too long!

Get commenting. And pass round the party hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment