Thursday, March 26, 2009

Query Observations

I have received over 2,000 queries since January 1st, and unfortunately I have not responded to most of them. I'm working my way through them though, and I have to ask for your continued patience if you're waiting to hear from me.

In the meantime, here are just a few things I've noticed: 

- I'm getting tons of emails from writers under the age of 18, which I suspect might be due to the increased availability of publishing resources online. If you're wondering, I look at these queries with the same consideration as I do with queries from adults.

- There are two clear groups of queries - the first are from people who probably will never get representation and become published, evident by the crappy writing and lack of effort in their queries. The second group is composed of writers struggling hard with their craft, doing their research, and drafting thoughtful and composed queries. In the past I would say more than 75% of the emails I got could be grouped in the first group, but I think the numbers have reversed and 75% would now fall in the second group. 

- I continue to get catty emails in response to rejections, and I continue to struggle not to respond in kind. 

- I just haven't seen that many truly inventive mystery ideas, but urban fantasy queries are ripe with creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment