Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Agent for a Day

In a surprise for most of the people involved, but not a surprise to me or likely other agents, only two people successfully guessed all three published books in Nathan Bransford's Agent for a Day Contest, and none of the books were among the top five most requested queries. 

On a different note, I am thinking of changing my query policy based on some of the discussion I've seen on the Web. As of now I'm still trying to respond to every query sent to me via my agency submission form and filled out properly (e.g. with an email address for response). However, I've fallen severely behind and since I continue to receive over 75 queries a day, I'm not sure when I can ever fully catch up. I also continue to get frustrating responses from writers after rejections asking for more details or simply just insulting me for deciding to pass. I'm also getting more and more emails from writers reasonably wondering when they might hear from me.

So here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to set up a mailbox that sends an auto response confirming receipt of a query, and a note will be included saying that if the form was filled out properly AND I'm interested in the project that you'll hear back from me within three weeks. If you don't have a response within three weeks, it's a pass. Thoughts?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment