Friday, August 19, 2011

Holiday Photos

Normal service will resume soon, but here are some photos from my holiday.





Colin is leagues ahead of me as we clamber up Snowdon.



I look oddly pleased to be soaking wet, cold, and nowhere near the top of the mountain.



On one of our more relaxed days out, we visited Powis Castle - where I finished Westwood by Stella Gibbons, and started One Day by David Nicholls. It was pretty beautiful, if that doesn't sound tautologous.



We have been to Powis Castle once before - and it was at this very spot that we met Prince Charles. He asked us if our ice creams were nice - I said "Yeah" - then we ran up that bank. He spotted us again, and said "Fast movers!" So, basically, Prince Charles recognised me.





The gardens at Powis are rather gorgeous.



Did you know that dahlias were A.A. Milne's favourite flower? I like 'em too.



Rather fancy statue. Powis Castle tearoom also had peacocks, but they were real.



This amused me.



A labyrinth. If you want to know the difference between labyrinths and mazes, just ask. I once heard a FASCINATING Radio 4 programme on the topic.



One of the Youth Hostels we stayed in was Wilderhope Manor in Shropshire - a stunningly beautiful Elizabethan manor. When would I normally get the chance to stay somewhere like that for under £20 a night? This is why I love the Youth Hostel Association! I forgot to take a photo of the outside (plenty available online) - but the photo below is the view I had from my bed.





And we finshed the holiday with a trip to Clun Castle - the more assiduous of you will spot Col in this photo. Hope you enjoyed a few snapshots of our holiday - the last my trusty camera will show you (although some of these were post-camera-breaking and done on my phone). Thanks again for your camera advice - I have bought one, and it's one its way.



Book reviews coming next week. Here's a clue for the first one, to see if you can work out what it'll be. You'd see the title on gravestones, and you'd see the author near a matchbox.











No comments:

Post a Comment