Monday, June 18, 2007

Texas rocks!

Just got back from the Writers' League of Texas Conference in Austin. I have to say that it's the best writers' conference I've attended to date in terms of agent and editor attendees, organization, and location. Over 350 authors attended (a sell out), and it still ran smoothly. Even the weird pajama party hosted by a local radio station on Friday night in the hotel lobby didn't screw things up.

A few things of particular note:
  • They invited enough agents and editors to insure we weren't overworked. Too many pitches in too short a time will inevitably lead to brain-fry.
  • The authors all seemed knowledgeable about what the agents and editors were looking for and how to pitch generally. Everyone was really friendly too, though this might just be because they're all Texans.
  • I was on a panel called "Legal Issues in Writing" - and it made me realize I could talk about problems with publishing contracts for hours. Of course, after about two minutes I think everyone would be asleep.
  • Guerro's is awesome. A DHL truck that rear-ended me when I was driving to Guerro's was not awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment