Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy All Hallows!

Happy All Saints' Day!  Also known as All Hallows' Day, you might have celebrated HallowE[v]en[ing], but that's a bit like celebrating Christmas Eve without celebrating Christmas, in my opinion.


Gotta say, there are a lot of reasons I don't like Hallowe'en - from its rather unpleasant origins to the decorations in *every* shop window which are not good for those of us who suffer from arachnophobia - so I'm pleased it's out of the way and I can get behind a nicer day to celebrate!

Lots of people read spooky books for Hallowe'en (I don't have a problem with the bookish part of the day!) but I'd like to read something which fits the theme of All Hallows' Day - any suggestions?  Anything with a saint or a church or similar - but no ghost stories or Gothic graveyards!

Barbara Pym, perhaps?  Hmm... my mind is rather a blank...

A couple recommendations which I've already read, if you want to celebrate a saintly day - you could do a lot worse than Oliver Goldsmith's The Vicar of Wakefield or Marilynne Robinson's Gilead.

Over to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment