Friday, September 5, 2008

Lost in Austen, and Good News

The Good News first - the lovely, lovely people at Magdalen decided to award me the Senior MacKinnon Scholarship, which will pay for fees and maintenance for my Masters. Hurrah! Thanks everyone for your prayers and best wishes. Being scrupulous, I must point out that, though a 'scholarship', I think my pecuniary situation was of greater import than my intellectual.

Onto Lost in Austen - again, I'm afraid
non-UK readers might have to avert their eyes, as I'm going to talk about an ITV programme. Fun reading, perhaps though, for the Janeites amongst us. Lost in Austen sees 21st Century gal (and Austen addict) Amanda Price accidentally change places with Elizabeth Bennet. Yes, that Elizabeth Bennet. And, as you may imagine, hilarity ensues. Episode One, after the exchange took place, focused on Amanda's life with the Bennet sisters - explaining her modern clothing as 'otter hunting gear', trying to make sure Jane eyes up Bingley, and then kissing said 6000-a-year-man behind the dancehall.

It's all rather silly and it's all very fun. Plenty for Pride and Prejudice aficionados to get their teeth into - though by 'aficionado', I should say 'anyone who's seen the 1995 BBC version'. Indeed, Colin Firth even gets a mention. I've seen the latest Mr. Darcy (Elliot Cowan) described as rather dishy, but to me he looked permanently as though about to sneeze. Everyone else plays their role admirably, though they know that they're supposed to be background.

Lost in Austen has a connection with my Enid Blyton post, actually - Amanda is played by Jemima Rooper, who was George in the Famous Five series I watched as a child, and it's nice to know she's on the up and up.

I tend to get my claws out for Austen adaptations, but this is a different sort of venture - it's consciously fun and frivolous and full of in-jokes. Can't wait til next time - or seeing what Lizzie will think of our 21st Century world.

No comments:

Post a Comment