Thursday, October 9, 2008

On Politics

For regular readers of the blog, you'll probably have noticed that I attempt a steady neutrality when it comes to non-publishing related matters, with the exception of things like basketball, movies, and coffee.

Today I'm going to break that rule and link to two articles about the election. This will be my only post on the subject, and I hope readers won't be too frustrated by even this one exception. But unfortunately I just can't not write about this today.

I should preface this by telling you that I am an independent - I find myself and my opinions out of step with both Texas (my place of birth) and New York (my place of residence). I'm certainly more conservative than my current friends and colleagues, but also much more liberal than my old pals back home.

I supported Hillary in the primary, for reasons I find unnecessary to get into. Barack Obama is now getting my support and vote in the upcoming election. On the issues that matter most to me he is most in sync with my views, and I believe he can achieve change that is good for our country.

I have always liked John McCain as a person though, even if I didn't agree with him much on the issues. He's always been known as selfless, incorruptible, and a man of his word, someone worthy of and given immense respect by people on both sides of the political spectrum.

But in recent months, and especially in recent days, my opinion of him has faltered. In desperation, he has stooped to tactics that have smeared his reputation with foulness. With fear-mongering, race baiting, and just flat out lies his campaign has tarred his legacy forever.

Here's an editorial opinion from The New York Times that summarizes all of this quite well, and here is a bit more about race baiting.

I thought McCain was better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment