Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Won't somebody think about the children?

I left it a few days, to see what the final count would be, and Enid Blyton surges ahead of JK Rowling - last time I checked, it was 19 votes to 14, I think. That includes my vote, which went to Enid - without her, I'm not sure I'd be such a big fan of reading.


Congratulations, Ms. Blyton - and now I'm throwing the competition open. We've already had recommendations for E. Nesbit, and I'm keen to read more of her books, but now I'd like to know which children's books mean the most to you. Either growing up, or reading them to your own children and grandchildren. It would especially fun if they're a bit out of the ordinary. One I always remember is Albert the Dragon by Rosemary Weir, and its various sequels, illustrated by the always-delightful Quentin Blake. I don't know how old we were when this was read to us, but I've always remembered (in vague outline, of course) the friendship between Albert and the dragon. I suppose I should say I remember the feeling the books gave me, because in terms of plot I can only remember something vague about food turning into seaweed... Col? Mum? Dad? Am I remembering correctly?


A few years ago I bought one of the Albert books as a Mothering Sunday present for Mum (of course), and I wonder if it's still in the house... I might try and investigate when I go home for Christmas.

So, yes, favourite children's books, please, and why they mean so much to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment