Sunday, January 24, 2010

Project 24... oops

Project 24 - #2 & #3

So, on my travels to Suffolk, Mum and I had three things definitely factored into the itinerary - aside from seeing her sister, of course. Firstly was the spectacular (and spectacularly cheap) hot chocolate at the Essex Rose in Dedham - a three-mug jugful for £2! - second was meeting up with lovely Elaine of Random Jottings, more on that tomorrow, and last was... Castle Books in Colchester. Back in 2001 we had a family holiday in Felixstowe, and popped over to Colchester. Castle Books was where my AA Milne liking developed into an obsession, as they had quite a few of his books, quite cheaply. And I've had fond memories of it ever since.

It didn't disappoint - a wonderful stock, very reasonable prices, and enough temptation to tip me halfway through February on my Project 24 restrictions... that's right, I bought two. On any other day I'd have happily bought ten, so I do count it as *something* of a success... no?


First up is I. Compton-Burnett by Pamela Hansford Johnson, a little booklet about ICB's novels from 1951 - it looks like an interesting snapshot of response to ICB by another interesting novelist.

And second is a beautiful book called More Talk of Jane Austen by Shelia Kaye-Smith and GB Stern. I've flicked through Talking of Jane Austen once or twice, though I don't own it - the books look like a lovely mix - informal chat about Jane Austen from the mouths of those with know-how. Indulgent without being unscholarly - think this'll be one to curl up with soon.

So, there we have it! Numbers 2 and 3 in my Project 24. I also bought a little book about EF Benson in Castle Books, but that was a gift for Elaine - who, in turn, gave me a book - which you'll be hearing more about tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment