Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Coincidences


A quick post today, because inspiration is not hitting... on the topic of reading coincidences (with a completely unrelated picture of a pretty building I saw in Paris). I've just started a novel where a woman lives in a hut in the wood. And I've also lent my housemate a different novel where a woman lives in a hut in the wood. It's probably not the most important aspect of either novel, but it comes to the fore because of this coincidence.

Do you find this? Something in a novel will call out, because it also happened in another novel? Small details cross over... I remember reading Late and Soon by EM Delafield quite soon after Family Roundabout by Richmal Crompton - both of them feature a woman whose Chinese shawl is repeatedly caught in her chair. I thought perhaps this nuisance plagued the first half of the twentieth century, but I haven't come across it again... More bizarrely, a couple of years ago I read two books close to each other where women killed themselves by deliberately driving their cars into trees. Shan't tell you which ones, as it would rather spoil them...

Has this happened to you? Details please! Or am I alone in these strange criss-crossings and overlappings between books? Surely not...

No comments:

Post a Comment