Saturday, March 13, 2010

No.6

Project 24 - #6


Drastically scaling back the number of books I'm allowed to buy in 2010 has meant that the ones I choose are likely to come (and have come so far) in three categories:

  1. They're out of print books which rarely become available, and the opportunity is too good to miss
  2. I've physically been to a great secondhand bookshop and don't want to come away empty-handed...
  3. They're books I've been wanting to buy for years, but couldn't really afford.

My sixth book of 2010 falls in category 3 - The Heirs of Jane Austen: Twentieth-Century Writers of the Comedy of Manners by Rachel R. Mather. This book could have been written with me in mind - it looks at EF Benson, EM Delafield, and Angela Thirkell as (unsurprisingly) the heirs of Jane Austen - two of my absolute favourite authors (EMD and JA), and two I like a lot (EFB and AT) all in the same book together? Wonderful. I have actually read this already, a few years ago - lent by a kind Thirkellite - but knew at some point I'd have to have a copy myself. So, there you are - no.6 has been chosen. (Sorry that I could only find a tiny picture of the book - the cover is too shiny to take a good one with my camera, under electric light.)

Which would take me to the end of March. Except, ahem, another is on its way... and I'm going to Paris at the end of March, and will be visiting the Shakespeare & Co. bookshop. Let's hope April is a lean month...

No comments:

Post a Comment