Monday, June 7, 2010

Many & Various

Usually my round-up posts come at the weekend, but there are a few things I've been promising, and a few that are time-sensitive (gosh, that sounds important - trust me, it's not) so we're going to have a bit of a round-up post today, ok? We're on the same page?

1.) First off, do keep checking back at this post for A Picture Paints a Thousand Books. I've been so delighted with the responses - both quantity and quality. People have really put thought into this, and I'm keeping the page updated as more people have a go. Do comment if you've done it on your blog, and I'll add you to the list. (picture credit)

2.) The Vet's Daughter by Barbara Comyns - Polly and Claire and I had a little read-along, and although (probably because it was out of print!) not a lot of people were able to join in, I hope these fab reviews will make you run and get a copy:

Harriet Devine
Novel Insights
Paperback Reader
Verity's Virago Venture
Stuck-in-a-Book
and Hannah Stoneham has written about My Silent War by Kim Philby... click on the link to find out why it's relevant to this read-along!

Ooo, EDIT: another review! Buried in Print

3.) A couple of links to BBC Radio programmes, probably only applicable for UK readers - these expire, I think, hence the time-sensitive thingummy. Jane very kindly emailed to tell me about Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers - you can
listen to it here, courtesy of BBC7. I had to confess to not liking Ms. Sayers, but I'm aware that a lot of you do... You can see Jane's thoughts about the same book here.

And a couple people alerted me to this Radio 4 programme about The L-Shaped Room by Lynne Reid Banks (which is in my 50 Books You Must Read). It's the book's fiftieth anniversary, and Banks is in fine fettle (at 80) as she discusses it with James Naughtie and some readers. Will I raise all sorts of fury against me if I say Naughtie's questions are a bit asinine? But LRB is fascinating, as is the programme. Do have a listen - and read the novel, of course!

That's all for today, folks. I spent my afternoon exploring Long Wittenham, chosen at random as a pretty-sounding Oxfordshire village - I was not disappointed, and I daresay there'll be photos later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment