Friday, June 18, 2010

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

My best laid plans to type out a week's worth of reviews this evening have rather crumbled and fallen. Instead, I did my ironing, baked a cake, and watched soap operas online. I feel a little like a 1950s housewife... but I've read/seen The Hours and I know how that ends.

Off to a wedding tomorrow, should be fun - and will hopefully avoid dancing. As Mary Bennett once said before me, "I should infinitely prefer a book." And, had she found her way to Stuck-in-a-Book, she'd get even more than that: a book, a blog post, and a link. Don't say I don't spoil you.

1.) The book - I was wondering to myself what else Nicola Humble might have written, except the very Simon-friendly The Feminine Middlebrow Novel 1920s to 1950s (see more here) and came across this rather winning title: Cake: A Global History. It's advertised on Amazon as Cake: A Global History (Edible) which I thought was an exceptionally clever gimmick, but turns out Edible is the name of the publishing company. Basically it looks like it does what it says on the tin - a history of cake! What's not to like?

2.) The link - is to an Oxfam Bookfest. Includes a day-long readathon... Click the link to find out more.

3.) The blog post - I'm a sucker for so-I-went-bookshopping sorts of posts (especially since I've been on rations myself) so hive on over to Thomas at My Porch and his latest spree...


No comments:

Post a Comment