Thursday, November 11, 2010

Birthday Books


Hello there - sorry I've been absent for so long; the cold I had on my birthday got worse, and then a bit better, and then worse, and then rather better - so now I'm just coughing a lot and waking myself up. Ho-hum. Worse things happen at sea, as Our Vicar's Wife is apt to say. There are quite a few things I've been meaning to blog about, including some reviews etc., but I'm going to be returning at a steady pace - hope that's ok. And there's an exciting meeting this Saturday, which I daresay you'll hear about in time...


But, of course, I have to share my birthday bounty with you. This year, for the first time, I used an Amazon wishlist. It helped with Project 24 - instead of impulse buys, I put things on my wishlist, and removed them later if they no longer appealed. So it had built up to quite an extent when I emailed it to those wondering what I wanted for my birthday... Which actually made a really nice compromise between surprise and gratification. I didn't just tell people what to get me, so I had lovely surprises as I opened the presents - but at the same time I knew that I'd really want everything I received. Some gems here, which I'm really excited about. One missing, which was from my housemate Debs, and which you'll see in more detail later...

  • The Mystery of Mrs. Blencarrow - Mrs. Oliphant
  • The City & The City - China Mieville
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks - John Curran
  • The Winds of Heaven - Monica Dickens
  • Highland Fling - Nancy Mitford
  • The Joke - Milan Kundera
  • At Large and At Small - Anne Fadiman
  • The Restraint of Beasts - Magnus Mills
  • Books, Baguettes & Bedbugs - Jeremy Mercer (about Shakespeare & Co. bookshop)
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen (from Susan in TX, thanks Susan!)
  • A Reader on Reading - Alberto Manguel
  • And Furthermore - Dame Judi Dench
  • Talking of Jane Austen - G.B. Stern and Sheila Kaye-Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment