Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bad Apple Agent Blogs

I thought it might make sense to point out some things about agent blogs.

1) All agents, including blogging agents, are fallible.

2) Some agents are bad agents, including a few that blog.

3) Unless the blogging agent indicates otherwise, assume that their comment only applies to them personally, and not for the industry as a whole.

4) Even if the agent does say that everyone in the industry feels the same way, don't necessarily believe it.

5) Agent blogs will inevitably conflict with each other from time to time. The truth is that there is often no right answer to a question. 

Just like any profession, a few bad apples can damage the reputation of the entire field, and so it seems that a few bad agents and their bad blogs have injured some writers' opinions of agents as a whole. I can only ask that you try to keep the same perspective I do when I read queries. I get a few queries every day from people who clearly spent no time researching either me or the industry. I also am the subject of abuse from aspiring writers all the time because I've reached the personal and subjective decision that I don't want to represent their work. However, I don't let the bad spoil my view of the good. I still read and evaluate every query that is sent to me, and I requested six partials last week, my most this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment