Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hay-on-Wye: The Haul



I didn't come back from Hay-on-Wye empty-handed (surprised?) and I thought I'd share my spoils with you.  Not literally, I'm afraid - they're mine, all mine! - but here's the pile I found whilst wandering around the sunny and freezing streets of Hay.


Father - Elizabeth von Arnim
This was my best find of the day - I hadn't even heard of this title, and it's pretty difficult to track down on the internet - and certainly not at the price I snagged it.  Hurrah!

Elizabeth of the German Garden - Leslie de Charme
A biography of E von A leapt off the shelf and into my arms.  Has anyone read this?

Off the Deep End - Christopher Morley
I'm a fan of Morley's essays and novels, so I was pleased to find this collection of his sketches in such a nice edition - once owned by Winifred Hudson, according to the fun little book plate inside.

The Iron Man and The Tin Woman - Stephen Leacock
The Boy I Left Behind Me - Stephen Leacock
Although I had a few years when I read Leacock voraciously, I haven't returned to him for quite a while.  But when I find Leacock books I don't yet own, I snap them up... good to have a stockpile, no?

Borrowed Plumes - Owen Seaman
Seaman was an editor at Punch when AA Milne worked there, which is why he's familiar to me - this book of spoofs includes one of Elizabeth von Arnim.  And the book was signed by Seaman!  I don't really care how valuable a book is, but I love signed books because I know the author has held them, and it makes them feel a bit closer...


Concert Pitch - Theodora Benson
I read one of her other novels last year - called Which Way? - and thought I'd try another.  She was quite Persephonesque, although perhaps not quite up to their standard.

Daisy's Aunt - E.F. Benson
Beautiful little edition, but... turns out I already have this novel under another title.  Oops.

The Initials in the Heart - Laurence Whistler
I have no idea why I want this, but I know it's on my Amazon wishlist, so someone must have recommended it to me... was it you?!


The Windfall - Christopher Milne
I think I already have this collected in The Open Garden, but it's a lovely, cheapish addition to my Milne completism.  Also has beautiful wood engravings by Kenneth Lindley.

Surviving: The Uncollected Writings of Henry Green
Some would suggest that, having read a mere one of Green's novels, that I don't need to start buying his uncollected writings.  But very few of those people read book blogs.

A Casual Commentary - Rose Macaulay
I read chunks of this in the Bodleian, so it's good to have my own copy - I do love our Rose.  This is a collection of her light journalism, and very amusing it is too.


The Gentlewoman - Laura Talbot
A bookshop outing wouldn't be a bookshop outing if I came back without a Virago Modern Classic - this one, with a spinster governess, sounded right up my street.

Mr. Scobie's Riddle - Elizabeth Jolley
Foxybaby - Elizabeth Jolley
I've been meaning to try Jolley (specifically The Well) for a while, but I didn't find the one I was after... so, using book bloggers' logic, I just bought other ones instead.

The Only Problem - Muriel Spark
I'm constantly surprised by how much this lady wrote, and how I keep coming across titles of which I've never heard.  This one looks like Spark at her most delightfully odd.

Stepping Heavenward - Richard Aldington
I do love Dolphin Books...

Ivy & Stevie - Kay Dick
And this one, which I've started already!  It's interviews with Ivy Compton-Burnett and Stevie Smith, and musings on these authors.  I've not read any Stevie, but I love Ivy, and love interview books too.


That's the whole haul!  Lorna, with whom I went, bought about the same number - isn't it wonderful when you book-hunt with other avid book buyers, rather than people who pick up one or two books all day?


 As always, I'd love to know your thoughts on these, especially if you've read any of 'em...

No comments:

Post a Comment