Friday, February 17, 2012

London (Part One)

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on the blogosphere this week (although perhaps it won't have felt like that to you!) - I seem to have been utterly exhausted all week, hitting the hay as soon as I get in through the door.

Of course, that hasn't been oh-so-early every night.  On Thursday I got home at about 9.30pm after a day packed with fun in London.  Well, actually, my morning was spent having a lovely conversation with my friend Clare, who used to work at the Bodleian with me, and now lives in my third favourite city in Britain (I think), Edinburgh - it comes after Oxford and Bath, in case you were wondering, although I do have a soft spot for Wells, for being not remotely like a city.

First things first in London, I headed off to Notting Hill Book and Comic Exchange.  I don't know the geography of London at all well, and basically I navigate by the bookshops I know and love.  There must be lots that are waiting for me, which I've somehow never found - but I buy more than enough from this one, trust me.  This is the first time I've taken books in to sell/exchange - a hefty pile, for which (he barked at me) "£6 sale, £12 exchange".  Well, what do you think I did?  And with my £12 vouchers in hand, I headed off to browse.

If you're thinking that £12 for about 15 books was a little mean of them, then fear not - very few of their books are more than £2 or £3, and there are three big (unsorted) basement rooms where books are 50p each.  But I didn't have the time to head down there - nor, since they put in lots more bookcases, do I find it a particularly enjoyable place to browse - but the cream of the crop is upstairs.  In the past I've found a signed novel by Rose Macaulay (£1), a signed novel by A.P. Herbert (£1) and countless other gems.  On Thursday I certainly came away with a sizeable pile... and today's post I'm going to tell you about them.  In tomorrow's post, I'll write about the reason I was in London - which was to attend a wonderful party put on the deliciously delightful folk at Bloomsbury.

So... onto the books.  These, by the way, include my 2000th book, according to my LibraryThing account.  I wonder which one it was... anyway, here they all are.  As per usual - comments, please, especially if you've read them!

London Feb 2012 1 by Stuck-in-a-Book

A Dedicated Man - Elizabeth Taylor
Appropriate during her centenary year.  There always seems to be an ET on their shelves, oddly enough.

Identity - Milan Kundera
I read this a while ago (thoughts here) but wanted a copy for myself - and it's in the same quirky edition.

The Magic Toyshop - Angela Carter
This was pretty appropriate on the way to an Angela Carter event!  I adore these Virago patterned editions, but this is the first one I've actually got - and it's beautiful!

Travel Light - Naomi Mitchison
Well, a cheap VMC... why not?  And one with a nice cover, too.

London Feb 2012 2 by Stuck-in-a-Book


The Unmade Bed - Francoise Sagan
A lovely Hesperus edition of an author I've been doing my usual: collecting, and not getting around to buying.

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne - Brian Moore
Quite a few of you recommended this when I listed the books published in 1985 - and what can I do but obey?

The Man Who Planted Trees - Jean Giono
Ok, I already have this - but it's the illustrations which make little books like this, and this edition has different illustrations.  Harry Brockway, since you ask.

Loving and Giving - Molly Keane
Absolutely hideous edition, but needs must.  Well, not needs, perhaps.  But I was (wait for it) Keane to read more Keane.

Mansfield - C.K. Stead
I have read some of Stead's criticism of Katherine Mansfield, but I hadn't realised that she (or perhaps he... hmm...) had written a novelisation of Mansfield's life.

Slightly Foxed pile by Stuck-in-a-Book


Slightly Foxed...
They also had six old copies of the Slightly Foxed Quarterly - and I grabbed all of 'em.




No comments:

Post a Comment