Friday, February 3, 2012

Muriel Spark Reading Week...??

I was going to do a proper Weekend Miscellany (including link sent by Merenia - remind me if I don't do it next week, Merenia!) but I've just come back from a book quiz and I'm pretty tired.  The quiz was brilliant - written by lovely Annabel, and it was a nice surprise to meet Yvann there too.  Our team just slipped out of medal position, with 4th place...

So, instead, I'm going to offer a proposition.  I might even end my sentence with it (hahahahaha.)

There have been weeks and months devoted to some wonderful and deserving authors over the past few years - Henry Green, Daphne du Maurier, Anita Brookner, Austen, Dickens etc.  The whole year is a celebration of Elizabeth Taylor.  I'm sure there have been many authors who have had this treatment - many of whom aren't exactly unknown, but have been unduly neglected by recent readers.


And so, I thought... Muriel Spark Reading Week.  A lot of people have read some Muriel Spark; even more people intend to read some at some point.  Many have just read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. But I was struck today by how very many books Spark wrote, almost all of which are very short (and available cheaply) - she's ideal for a varied Reading Week that anybody would find easy and quick to join in.

In terms of dates, I was thinking perhaps the end of April or beginning of May... (Spark in the Spring?!)

So this post is partly to gauge interest, and partly to find a co-host.  I'd love someone else to join in - it would basically involve mentioning it a bit, linking to reviews when they appear, and making a welcome post and a round-up post.  Something like that.  It definitely isn't essential to know everything about Muriel Spark, just a keenness to cheer her on! If you're interested - email me (simondavidthomas[at]yahoo.co.uk) or comment.  Obviously if lots of people are interested in co-hosting, I'll have to choose one - probably at random :)
[EDIT: I think I now have one!  Step forward Harriet]

And, of course, I would love everyone to pick up a Muriel Spark novel when the Reading Week takes place, so also mention if you'd be interested at all in participated!  (No commitments needed now, naturally.)

Oh, I do like a nice idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment