Friday, May 16, 2008

Running With Crazy

So I read a partial a few days ago. It was advertised as urban fantasy, but "not necessarily dark with excessive violence, rather playfully suspenseful with a tongue-in-cheek, satirical approach."
I thought it was cheesy, but I wrote an extremely kind rejection letter, telling her that it needed to be "darker to be a fit for my tastes." I do think there is a market for playfully suspenseful, but there has to be enough bite to keep readers interested, and I didn't think this partial had it. I went out of my way to emphasize that this was my own opinion.

I received a rude email in response, telling me that I clearly did not read her query letter. Offended, I told the author that this was my subjective opinion and that she should not take it personally. She wrote again, telling me to grow up.

This is the type of crazy that makes agents wary about email queries.

No comments:

Post a Comment