Wednesday, May 21, 2008

When is a book "damaged goods"?

Okay, this is a little complicated so please bear with me. I had an agent with whom I recently split (amicably). She submitted a thriller of mine to a total of six publishers, including a well-known paperback publisher who sells most of their books on-line but does place some of their books in the bricks & mortar stores. The paperback publisher (after sitting on the book forever) eventually made an offer. After discussing the offer with my agent we both felt the book was good enough to find a larger publisher. But after a couple more submissions and rejections, she seemed to give up on the book. Ergo, the main reason I decided to split the sheets. Question: is this book now 'damaged goods' and would it make sense to attempt seeking representation for it with another agent? And if so, how would I handle that?

I can't say without reading the book and seeing where and to whom your project has been submitted to. If there are still a number of publishers to try (or even retry if the editor has left) then it might make sense to seek representation for it with another agent. Unfortunately, if your former agent isn't willing to give you referrals or if you don't have any to exploit through other means, you'll just have to query again.

No comments:

Post a Comment