Saturday, May 31, 2008

Spa Towns and Spending


On a whim, I took myself off to Malvern today. For those not in the know, it's a spa town in Worcestershire, not a million miles away from where I grew up. The Malvern Hills surround it, and are favourites for hill-climbers, but Malvern also posts some pretty parks, amazing views, and creditable secondhand bookshops. Thus, I read books, ate ice creams (well, just the one), bought books and fell asleep on a lawn. Beautiful weather, and a great day out - very much enjoyed myself.

AND I bought some books, as I mentioned. One of my favourite bookshops in the world is The Malvern Bookshop - two floors of an old house turned into a bookshop, so that all the rooms retain the feel of homeliness. Not bad prices, and they had AA Milne's autobiography on the counter. I als
o had the pleasure, perhaps unkindly, of listening to a lady trying to flog her valueless books to the friendly, but honest, shopowner.

Anyway - here's my haul.


A Talent To Annoy: Essays, Journalism and Reviews by Nancy Mitford ed. Charlotte Mosley - I saw this mentioned in the Mitford letters, and had a nice response from Mrs. Mosley today to an appreciative letter I sent her, so thought I'd add to my Mitfordmania.

Letters from Menabilly - Daphne du Maurier (ed. Oriel Malet) - letters between du M and Malet, can't wait.

Jennie - Paul Gallico - a few people have recommended this here. Peter the Flautist, Cornflower? I love cats, I love animorphism... what's not to love?

Flowers for Mrs. Harris - Paul Gallico - more Gallico for good measure. Anyone read?

The Sense of Humour - Stephen Potter - an anthology of British humour, with intriguing linking sections by Potter, such as 'Humour of Release'; 'Criticism by Parody'; 'Humour of Situation' etc. etc. - sounds invaluable, and probably very... humorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment